Monday, June 4, 2007

Stop This Car!

I was reading my friend Amaya's blog about celebrity sightings in Seattle; my sighting today was of another sort. I stopped by Ross on my way to Leu Gardens this morning. Normally, I always try to get there as early as possible, but today I needed to stop at the camera store because Elmer is giving me fits again and they don't open until 10. So I head through the front doors, really only maybe 10 minutes after they open. Seconds later I hear this loud voice calling--"Ma'am, we need those clothes!" I turn around to see a woman nonchalantly walking out to a car with an armload of clothes on hangers. I quickly grab my camera out of my purse (wouldn't you know it, it was set to macro!), and head out the door. Because I had to change the setting, I didn't get her picture, however, I did get the getaway car! You might note the driver's window open as if he was just chilling, waiting for her to emerge with the loot. Unbelievable what people will do. My hands were shaking as this was the first robbery I've ever witnessed in my life! Now, I want you to know that the police never arrived to investigate the whole twenty minutes I was in the store. Can you believe it?

That segues into my wanting to set the record straight regarding Bruce's ticket. He was speeding, in fact, he was going about 75 on a four lane divided highway with not a soul in sight and orange groves on either side of the road. There was no one in sight because they had all passes us. The highway patrolman did a U-turn to catch him! The fine is $220 so we're not eating out this week. Apparently our law enforcement officers find it more convenient to stop speeders than robbers!

I'm continuing to feel good, and that gives me confidence that the worst is behind me--hallelujah!!

Only two more Fridays to go with my camera class, and the minimester is over. I've not signed up for any classes in session B--I guess I'll just be a house bum for the rest of the summer--swimming, cooking, reading, and of course, taking pictures!

I do have an appointment with the internship placement office for Wednesday at 1. She wants to interview me before she sends my resume out. I'm hoping to get a place at a sculpture museum on the shores of Lake Virginia in Winter Park. If you're not from here you wouldn't realize that it is a prime piece of real estate. If we ever won the lottery (have to play first), we'd move to Winter Park. I realized this morning that we have lived in this house the longest of any during our 33--soon to be 34--years of marriage. Bruce wondered if that meant it was time to move.

1 comment:

Amaya said...

OMG! I can't believe she just walked right out!
Sadly, and yet appropriately, most of our department stores have their own security officer so it would be highly unlikely to get away with that in Seattle.
Good thing you had your camera.

A Low Level of Anxiety