Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Observations


Here's the sign in the window for the gallery, re: tomorrow night. I've got two new pictures there.

Speaking of which I was in a bit of a quandary--my dear neighbor wanted to purchase one of the pictures that were hung last month. During the open house she said you should put a sold sign on the one, thinking that would entice someone else. Unfortunately, the price on it that was just way too much. When Bruce picked them up on Saturday for me the curator remarked that the only way they stay in business is through commissions; what happened with the buyer? Well, I didn't know what to do, so I asked the curator at the museum. She said to negotiate a price and then give the commission on that price. It was awkward doing so but Regina and I came to an agreement after I told her the scoop. I went there today to settle up (thus the photo) but he wasn't there. I got his cell phone number, maybe it would have been easier on the phone, but I decided to wait and work it out tomorrow night. I am learning as I go.

A title for one of the obituaries today said a woman's passion was counseling recovering addicts. I thought that my passion is probably a little easier to accomplish on a day to day basis. You don't think she pulled her car over when she saw someone she thought might need help do you?

Another entry was a four month old child. I feel bad about a baby dying, for sure, but what caught my eye was her name (I guess it is a she) Laniya Kimora--mother's name Whytnea. Hmmmm.......

Corn meal mush does not have the same panache as polenta. For that matter, creamy rice isn't nearly as romantic-sounding as risotto.

Only about 3 1/2 weeks left till I'm done with my AA!! Tonight we are watching Taxi Driver, next week Momento, another paper, a final, and film is done. I've still got to do my dreaded outline for my persuasive speech which will happen on the 30th. I spent part of today listening to my music class lectures about the Romantic period in music--it's good.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me know what think about Momento. It's sort of an odd movie in my opinion.
Laura

e said...

I don't remember it (no, seriously, I don't - ironic, isn't it?) but I thought it was annoying. That part I remember.

Gail Peck said...

I've seen Memento before but recall little except for his writing on his arms and that the story is told backwards. It's one of Jonathan's favorites.

Amaya said...

I'm interested to hear about your opinion of Momento too. I actually really liked it.
Is it a morning ritual to check the obits? If so, what is your reason, may I ask?

Anonymous said...

My name is Whytnea. U wrote about the passing of my daughter Niya...... why was it that our names caught your attention? What were you implying?

Gail Peck said...

Please, please forgive me if I offended you--I meant nothing by it, I'd just never seen that name before. I understand that losing a child must be the worst thing in the world--please, I do not want to add to your grief.

A Low Level of Anxiety