Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanksgiving Eve


While I was eating lunch I heard the sound of a delivery truck out front. Because the weather is so warm I had the doors open and can hear all the neighborhood happenings.I digress--the doorbell rang, and what should I find but a box of flowers from the Spaks! I immediately called Lisa to thank her,she said she had no part in it--it was her sweet husband's doing. Thank you Danny! You can see what a lovely bouquet it is.

It's been a very long time since I spent the day cooking, but I did it today I'm thrilled to report. It is only 6:30, and I'll probably be in bed by 8, but it's only once a year. We expect 15 tomorrow.

Here's the menu:
18 lb turkey (hopefully, it will be enough with a few light eaters and a vegetarian in the bunch)
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Sausage dressing (my parents were from the North--thus we don't call it the Southern name--stuffing)
Green beans with mushrooms and shallots
Corn with bacon and green onions
Savory cornbread pudding
Crescent rolls
Salad
Apple pie with homemade vanilla ice cream
Pumpkin pie with whipped cream

Here's what I made today:
stock
compound butter with fresh herbs for the turkey
crudites
dip
chopped onions and celery for the dressing
vanilla ice cream
pumpkin pie
apple pie (sliced apples etc.)
cornbread pudding
chicken noodle soup for dinner
spiced pecans

There may have been more, but that's what I remember for now.

I was getting worried because Bruce was to have arrived in Orlando at 2:30 and wasn't home by 4. I thought surely he had been delayed with holiday traffic. Not the case at all. I left a message on his cell, when he returned the call I mentioned that I was hoping he'd be our sommelier. He said maybe. When he did arrive home he surprised me--he had been shopping at Whole Foods all that time;he brought home some very nice wines. I guess that's what happens when you've been married for 34 years--you anticipate needs.

I wish everyone a wonderful holiday. Cheers.

2 comments:

Amaya said...

Funny that we both ran down a list of food on our blogs. I didn't see yours until now.
How very thoughtful of Bruce.

e said...

Bruce is awesome.

A Week Ago Tuesday