Wednesday, July 25, 2007

"We understand backward but live forward."

I read that yesterday in an article in the Times about medicine. The credit for that statement goes to Kierkegaard. The title of the article is: Medicine, Constantly Redefined and Redefining Lives, written by Dr. Elissa Ely. The crux of the article is that often physicians make a diagnosis with the current information available, only to find out later that they were wrong, or gave medications that did harm. Here's what she wrote: The ground beneath professional feet should grow firmer over time-one ought to feel more certain of what one knows. But the more I know, the more I am afraid."

My internist has acknowledged as much. I have cried many times in his office telling him that something is wrong--why can't they tell me what. He said the longer he practices medicine the humbler it makes him. He is a very decent man, about my age, the son of an Iowan farmer. He is one of those doctors who is really in it to help his fellow man--he told me he would be ashamed to see his father if he had done it for any other reason.

All that to tell you that my twin nemesises have come calling. So much so that I had to take both a nausea pill, and a pain pill on Monday night. Normally I just live with the dull pain, but Monday was just too much. Consequently I was slow moving for much of yesterday. I slept on my heating pad last night rather than take anything again. Hopefully today I'll feel perkier.

I had a lovely chat with Matt on Monday evening. He is doing so beautifully in London--but, you knew he would, didn't you?

Dave turned in the biggest deal of his career yesterday. It is astonishing how much money he makes. He called on the way to the appointment confessing to nervousness which was only just striking him. I told him that was how he was supposed to feel.

Alissa has a phone interview for a job in Chicago! Wouldn't that be marvelous if something comes from it? Matt has offered them the use of all his furnishings left in storage in Chicago. It would be a win-win situation for both parties. Hurray for families!

The blue heron and I are looking at downtown Orlando from a different vantage point in this picture. If you've never been to Orlando you probably can't imagine the amount of water in the city. There are lakes everywhere. According to my geology professor it is because Florida was completely submerged underwater until 30 million years ago. Whatever the case, it makes for beauty.

1 comment:

Amaya said...

I'm sorry to hear that you had such a rough day. I hate to be one of those people but here I go anyway:
Have you asked about fibromyalgia? I know that a lot of people go undetected and that it's very painful. Just a thought...

A Low Level of Anxiety